15 thoughts on “Using Conceptual Frameworks in Qualitative Research

• October 17, 2015 at 6:35 am

I only wish I knew as much as you in this area. You have made it very easy to follow and understand. I am starting a project, but just don't know how to get started…very frustrating. You are truely blessed with your gift.

• October 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Dear Dawn, my ‘gift’ is my passion for research that contributes to social change, and while research can be complex and challenging – if you pick a topic you are really interested in, you will be highly motivated to overcome any problems that may arise. The key to starting a project is very careful planning from the outset. Ask yourself the question: what are my research aims and objectives? This should then point you towards methodology and determining the most appropriate research methods for your project. Best of Luck!

• April 17, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Madam, I realy appreciate your constructive idea , you clearly made a good and reasonable differences between inductive research approach and deductive research approach. Big up once again.

• September 11, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Thank you. I am refining my thesis proposal and your explanation made clear again how to stay focused, clear and precise.

• December 25, 2016 at 10:11 am

Thanks so much for explaining the things I could not put into perspective.

• April 18, 2017 at 10:23 am

Thank you Deborah  I also wish l had in-depth on research. My wish is to uproot the carnage on south African roads.  This has helped me shape up my research proposal in Professional Development  course . Regards

• June 17, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much. Your information is very informative and helpful.

• August 18, 2017 at 5:32 am

Thank you so much. I need to learn a lot from u

• April 15, 2018 at 3:41 am

Hi Deborah, Thank you for sharing this,
    I would greatly appreciate if you could elaborate more on Research Paradigm (as stated in slide no 6/10).
    Transformative Emancipatory Paradigm
    Interpretive paradigm
    Critical Paradigm.

Your reply is highly appreciated thanks

• April 16, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Hi Yusuf, glad the slides have been useful for you. I strongly recommend that you read this book as it will provide in-depth overview on the Transformative Emancipatory Paradigm and Critical Paradigm. Essentially, both are concerned with giving voice to marginalised groups and changing the balance of power in research.
      Truman, C., Mertens, D.M. and Humphries, B. eds., 2000. Research and inequality. Psychology Press.

The Interpretative Research Paradigm is a qualitative approach that aims to understand the world through the subjective experience of individuals. I recommend this book for in-depth reading on the subject:

Schwartz-Shea, P. and Yanow, D., 2013. Interpretive research design: Concepts and processes. Routledge.

• April 27, 2018 at 11:35 am

Hi Deborah,
    I am currently doing an exploratory research topic on The impact of democracy on state relations in the International System with a case study of the European Union. It looks at using a regional bloc- the EU as a tool for fostering democracy globally. I was wondering if it would be possible to carry out data analysis using only secondary sources (qualitative) given that I live in a non-EU country which limits my use of primary research methods. And If possible I would like to know how this caan be done.

• June 20, 2018 at 9:52 am

Dear Deborah
    Thank you for this helpful post – I am currently writing my master thesis and this provide some needed guidance.
    Best from Switzerland